Started Oct 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JOrmsby
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
4/3 lenses cheating for $?
Oct 10, 2013

I've been looking at getting a micro 4/3's cam this holiday season as a travel backup to my D600, and while there are some great cameras and lenses available, I'm pretty turned off by how much these companies are charging for lenses with natively flawed designs.

Looking at online lens reviews of the Panasonic 12-35, Oly 12 1.8, and many others, it seems these companies are charging a premium for these lenses which are designed so poorly they have to rely on software magic tricks to flatten them out. I'm referring mostly to the native distortion characteristics of the lenses (5-6% barrel in many cases), which is what it is and may never be seen using the right RAW converter, but it seems awful unfair and ridiculous to charge near and over $1000 for these cheaply designed lenses. I'm really hoping the Oly 12-40 2.8 doesn't turn out that way too. To be fair it seems like all of the mirrorless companies are doing it and I know the physics aren't easy, but to me they don't command the high price tags regardless. Just my 2 cents...

JOrmsby's gear list:JOrmsby's gear list
Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow