What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3? Locked

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,368Gear list
The lack of an articulating LCD is disappointing in such a great cam.
In reply to Ronald A Yorko, 9 months ago

Ronald A Yorko wrote:

While I think the K-3, at it's price range, really ups the bar for technology and features, I don't like the fixed LCD. Secondly, I prefer using the viewfinder, and most OVF info displays are in those choppy little led like letters and symbols. One of the reasons I chose Sony was I could actually easily read all of the displayed info in the EVF. Perhaps Pentax's fixed LCD is there because you'd constantly be checking if to be able to read screen info. As far as live view is concerned, the Pentax is an improvement, but again, with my Sony I just leave it on and don't have to be turning a switch or pressing a button to go back and forth.

Anyway, I hope Sony takes a cue from the new features on the K-3 in developing a successor to the A77.

I need to see actual photos from users and reports on the speed of the new AF system - that has always been a Pentax weakness - to evaluate the K3. But it's certainly a great leap forward.

I really wish it had an articulating LCD. That's almost a deal killer to me after using an A55 and an A77. Live view really is of limited value in my opinion without an articulating LCD.

In fact I've been sitting here debating what cam to shoot a cross country meet with tomorrow - my Canon 1D4 or my Sony A77. It would be a no brainer if my my 1D4 had an articulating LCD with live view that actually worked. The 1D4 provides faster focus - due to faster Canon lenses, not the cam - and better subject isolation. But I know I'll miss shots at the finish line when people lean in front of me. With my Sony I can just pull down the LCD, raise the cam, and shoot over the spectators.  Without it I'll get pictures that, even when I crop selectively, look like this, or worse:

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +11 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow