E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
lester11
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: A relevant question...
In reply to Anders W, 9 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Judging by his report, Lester appears to think that you can put an equal sign between shutter shock and double contours. I don't. Ordinary camera shake can give rise to double contours too and shutter shock can manifest itself without.

Hi Anders

My first objective was to obtain reproducible shutter shock.  That is, indisputable visual evidence that would survive the rigours of, erm, forum review.  The first step was to define shutter shock (for my purposes) in a way that meant it could not be dismissed as just some kind of perfectly familiar blur or camera shake by a sceptical reader.  I thought there would be little point joining the discussion here with a blurred image and attempting to claim evidence of shutter shock (smile).

Furthermore, it is unclear to me whether he realizes the need to consider things from a statistical point of view and has tested accordingly.

In one of my other lives I am an experimental statistician (smile).  But I want to avoid a stochastic analysis and associated data for as long as possible.  Instead, I want to demonstrate a reproducible "something" -- shutter shock -- at every instance, so that it could not be dismissed as some kind of artefact (I guess I am repeating myself here) by a sceptical reader.  Not that I am knocking scepticism, it is a necessary attribute of a successful experimenter, but there are a couple of enthusiastically loud sceptics here whose noise can drown signal...

Finally, I find no reason to think that the shutter speed at which the problem peaks should be strongly affected by whether the grip (and its additional weight) is attached or not.  While I think a lot might depend on personal variation, the point at which the problem peaks is not among them.

So I'm just starting a journey you have travelled well.  Nevertheless it is not yet clear to me that the problem I'm working on (double image ghosting in one dimension in the E-M5 and E-PL3) is independent of shutter speed.  Instead (to my surprise) I have found adding the grip is a factor which I have yet to analyse further.  It could be the additional mass.  It could be the different pivot point (ie different rotational impulse) offered by portrait instead of landscape orientation when the camera is held only in a crooked right hand.

-- hide signature --

Lester

lester11's gear list:lester11's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow