On-sensor PDAF, will it be as good as mirrored cameras?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000Gear list
Like?
Benefits of a mirrorless A-mount?
In reply to sybersitizen, 11 months ago

I can think of a few. Compared to existing SLT A-mount, there will be no more SLT mirror to get dust on and then worry about damaging it with whatever method of cleaning is currently the rage on the blogosphere. My guess is the PDAF will be a bit more accurate, since the AF points are located exactly where the sensor is. Obviously, there is also the additional light gained by the removal of the semi-mirror.

Compared to E mount, the only thing I can think of is the angle of incidence on the edges of the sensor. The longer flange distance of the A mount means the light hitting these pixels is closer to ideal (90º). From what I have read, the new a7(r) sensor has a means of addressing this issue, I don't know if that involves some other type of compromise. It is possible that the longer flange distance also has a benefit when it comes to flare caused by light bouncing off the sensor, but I would think this would be best described as "different" and not necessarily "better". Adjustment of the z-axis could be more precise on an A-mount, but since z-axis adjustment is still in the rumor phase it may not count as an advantage even if my math is correct.

In the science fiction end of things, an A-mount has more room for movable filters, so AA/IR/UV filters could be selectable (I can dream, yes?).

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OuchNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow