Professional equipment is not allowed in malls?

Started Oct 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,578Gear list
Like?
Re: Professional equipment is not allowed in malls?
In reply to LeoGotCamera, Oct 10, 2013

I was once taking pictures in the National Gallery of art with my Canon 5D and 70-200 f4 L (when this combo was state of the art professionally).  There was an artist with an easel copying a painting.  While I was waiting to get just the right moment, I struck up a convesation with a guard who was standing next to me.  I asked him, politely, if I could use a tripod.  He answered no.  I expected him to say that it would interfere with the flow of traffic .  Instead he said that use of a tripod would make me a professional and that professional photographers are not allowed.

Another time I was taking at the outdoor Hirschhorn Sculpture garden and using fill flash.  A guard came up to me and said flash was not allowed because it might cause damage to the artwork.

I too take pictures in malls with professional equipment and have never been hassled.  However, I would never use a tripod and do recognize that the mall can set its own rules and that I have to abide by them, even if they seem arbitrary.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow