What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3? Locked

Started Oct 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,819Gear list
Re: What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3?
In reply to moimoi, Oct 10, 2013

moimoi wrote:

Hello Sony SLR community,

Alright, I am not sure about you, but I found the new Pentax K3 to be very appealing. At least on the paper, it is the best APS-C camera.

It has (almost) everything to dream of, good MP count, built-in IS sensor (newer generation), no AA filter, but with revolutionary technology mimicking the AA filter while shooting subjects prone to Moire (e.g., clothing), new AF system (with 25 crossed-type points), superb ergonomics, focus peaking, 8.3 fps with good buffer (23 images in raw, which is not too shabby), etc.

Not sure what to think since I am a Sony shooter (a850/a900), but I would certainly show some interest in getting one, specially with the 18-35 mm f/1.8 from Sigma, it should be a killer combo.

I checked the full resolution samples posted from the Pentax website, and samples #3 and #4 are quite impressive, plenty of details to play with. I think it is on par with what I see with my Sony a900.

Personally, I think this was the route Sony should have kept pursuing rather than choosing the SLT route, but this should possibly be concerned with another debate.

Anyway, I would be interested in knowing what the Sony SLR community has to say about this upcoming release.

Thanks for your comments/insights.

I'm not really sure what separates it from the A77 apart from the lack of AA filter.  The anecdotal evidence I've heard is that the AF is good but not fast compared to a high end Nikon or Canon.

I decided this week that I am committed to moving to Sony (my main system is based on m43 at the moment) so I'm waiting to see what the new wave of Sony's bring before I sell off my E-M5 and top quality m43 primes.  I would guess that this and the D7100 (and their own RX1r) are showing Sony that lack of AA or user controllable AA are becoming an important point now which can only be good!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Moimoi

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow