What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3? Locked

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,898Gear list
Re: What does the Sony SLR community think of the Pentax K3?
In reply to moimoi, 9 months ago

I think it's interesting on paper but a disappointment for those interested in using flash.  I also disagree that it compares to full frame - on a slightly technical level, yes; but there's a quality of "space" in an image (that I think goes beyond pixel density, but is also related to it) that I always feel when comparing formats.

All that said, I do wish Sony would catch more of that spirit. I'm certainly interested in the variable WB concept, though I'd have to see it in action. I also like that Pentax was an early adopter of DNG output; the weathersealing; Pentax lenses in general; I feel it would be great if Pentax still has a "RAW" button on the body (I'm just remembering from years ago); Pentax also doesn't seem to have the (uniquely?) Sony problem with JPEGs and noise.  There's lots more to appreciate with the K-3 (still on paper, I'll admit) - if I had no associations I'd be seriously interested in following the unfolding of this product (and I'm not closed to the idea of selling my A77 and using Sony for FF with a limited number of lenses, and the K-3 for APS-C if it turns out to be that good).

-- hide signature --

Rich

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow