Re: A relevant question...
In reply to Anders W, 10 months ago

Anders W wrote:

texinwien wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

lester11 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

Has anybody yet tested (I haven't) the shutter shock issue using the battery grip on the E-M5?

I might have seen one or more tests regarding the impact of the grip but I no longer remember the details well enough to search for them more effectively than you can do yourself.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52298210 and http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52294229

Thanks Lester, well done! I find your 'peak' at 1/40sec interesting while everyone is saying 1/80 - 1/150sec.

It's perhaps important to note that lester's peak at 1/40 was with the grip attached. Without the grip attached, his peak was 1/80.

Judging by his report, Lester appears to think that you can put an equal sign between shutter shock and double contours. I don't.

Nor do I, and it's a good point. Too many think that an absence of clearly visible double contours in a photo is proof that the photo doesn't suffer from the effects of shutter shock.

As I've pointed out multiple times in these most recent discussions, shutter shock can also show up as a slight loss of resolution. As a matter of fact, I'd guess it shows up more often as a slight loss of resolution than as clear vertical doubling.

Ordinary camera shake can give rise to double contours too and shutter shock can manifest itself without. Furthermore, it is unclear to me whether he realizes the need to consider things from a statistical point of view and has tested accordingly. Finally, I find no reason to think that the shutter speed at which the problem peaks should be strongly affected by whether the grip (and its additional weight) is attached or not.

Furthermore, this phenomenon seems to be affected by a number of different variables - camera body, lens, photographer's camera-holding technique, to name a few.

The point is that I don't think it would be too surprising to find that one photographer's statistical peak, all other things (camera body, lens, etc.) being equal, was different than another photographer's, due to potentially hard-to-quantify differences in camera-holding technique.

While I think a lot might depend on personal variation, the point at which the problem peaks is not among them.

Interesting. I'll have to think about that a little bit, but I think I can see why that could be correct.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow