Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991Gear list
Like?
Share your "Unholy Trinity" lens sets
9 months ago

Do you have your own alternative to the "holy trinity" of 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8? I'm talking a set of three lenses that covers you from UWA to WA to telephoto. Preferably cheap ones. Prime lenses and DX kits welcome. Please mention which format or camera you are using them on.

For my D700, I like Sigma 12-24 (Mk I), Tamron 28-75/2.8 (non-BMI), and ... I'm trying to settle on the telephoto lens.

I have the 70-200/2.8 VRI, but since we're talking about alternative lenses ... well, when I want to keep the weight down, I cover the telephoto end with the 180/2.8 AF (non-D). I considered the 70-200 f/4, but it seemed like a waste of money when I already have the f/2.8 version.

Yesterday I got a 70-210 f4-5.6 AF-D for when I need a zoom and/or will be stopping down anyway. I haven't used it enough yet to decide whether I like it or not.

Other lenses I have used to cover the telephoto end are the 28-200 G (pretty sharp wide open, though not good in the corners, even stopped down) and the Tamron 28-300. The Tamron was actually quite good at f/8 up to around 200mm, and the VC is amazingly powerful, but I dropped it this summer, and now it is decentered.

When I know I'm going to be shooting in low light, I substitute fast-ish primes for the zooms: my usual kit is the Sigma 28/1.8, the Sigma 50/1.4 or 85/1.8D, and the 180/2.8.

That doesn't cover the UWA end, though, does it? Sometimes I will toss in the 20/2.8 AF (non-D) if I feel like shooting ultra wide.

Another kit I sometimes use, when I don't want to annoy my companions with lens changes, is 28-200 or 28-300 plus a fast prime (Sigma 50/1.4 or 85/1.8) and a UWA lens (20/2.8 or Sigma 12-24).

As you can see, I'm all over the place with my "unholy trinities," but maybe you have an unholy go-to kit that never changes?

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow