Will the OMD EM-1 save Olympus? Lets hope so.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jay Jenner
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?
Will the OMD EM-1 save Olympus? Lets hope so.
10 months ago

I like Olympus as a company. They make interesting and unique products. One of the things that attracted me to the brand in the first place was the fact that their system was designed from the ground up, not retro engineered to fit in with their existing old stock.

So they have a clear plan, and a small and well thought out product line. They used to be highly regarded in this respect, but sort of lost it by not keeping up. Not to mention the financial disaster.

But suddenly they are of major interest to people that are not already Olympus users and seem to have designed some kit that people love.

Unlike the others who are a bit lost I think.

Canon don't know what the heck they are doing, just throw loads of models into the market and see what sticks. No actual plan. How many sensor sizes do they have? Oh just the two now as the ridiculous 1.3 crop of the 1d has been quietly retired. Yeah, seemed like a good idea at the time eh? Nikon shot themselves in the foot with 600/610 fiasco. The only Nikon I would buy is the 700 or replacement for 300 if it ever happens. I hope the K3 can save Pentax as they are a good company, but ultimately let down by their wonky SDM lenses and prehistoric flash system.

Olympus are now in a unique situation again, and I think they must be a but surprised themselves. I hope it works out for them. Seems like a brilliant product but they do seem to have habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Let's hope it doesn't happen this time. I just got a new E5 but I really want an EM1

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Canon EOS-1D Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow