Wow...Paul Ryan said something intelligent!

Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,287Gear list
Like?
The same thought occurred to me
In reply to Walking Dead, Oct 10, 2013

Walking Dead wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

"This isn't a grand bargain. For that, we need a complete rethinking of government's approach to helping the most vulnerable, and a complete rethinking of government's approach to health care. But right now, we need to find common ground. We need to open the federal government. We need to pay our bills today—and make sure we can pay our bills tomorrow. So let's negotiate an agreement to make modest reforms to entitlement programs and the tax code."

Incredible! Another Republican that gets it! And his party's nominee for VP no less!

Entitlement programs are things like Social Security and Medicare. So, what is he proposing? Cutting the benefits, raising the retirement age?

My thinking, too.  I am betting he isn't talking about increasing benefits and raising taxes.

Why not cut the billions in subsidies to oil companies?  And cut the subsidies to corporate agribusiness.  And how about, at the very least, cutting some of the 'defence' budget that is being spent acquiring items that the Pentagon emphatically don't want?

And what kind of 'modest reforms' to the tax code is he proposing? I have never heard a republican say let's raise taxes, have you.

Reagan comes to mind immediately.  And Bush 41.  And, further back, Eisenhower had no problem raising taxes (to a top rate of 92%).

He may have some good ideas, but right now, it's like him saying, "we need to put Americans back to work." Sounds good, but meaningless without the details.

Quite true.

Politicians are professional liars, after all.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow