XF 18-55 Soft Corners?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Don't like 18-55
In reply to s200, 9 months ago

s200 wrote:

I've just jumped into the X-System, with an XE-1, plus the 14, 35 and 18-55 lenses. The 14 and 35 are sharp across the frame. Contrary to the positive reviews, however, the 18-55 has pretty soft corners at all apertures. This is my second copy, with the first pretty similar in that the extreme corners were verging on blurry.

Did I get unlucky twice? Or are those positive reviews leading me to expect too much? With two copies displaying similar characteristics, I suspect that both were performing as designed. That said, I'd be interested to hear just how soft your 18-55 corners really are. I should say that we're talking pixel peeping at 100pc, in the far reaches of each corner.

I am with you on that.   Although some will scream about 18-55 being the best zoom ever, I found it to be non-remarkable and pretty plain.  I also found that in my estimation it is not really 27mm equivalent, it feels more like 29-30mm equivalent angle.   After 35/1.4 I did not even want to put 18-55 back on my camera.  In fact, I like the 16-50 - plastic lens with plastic mount much better than 18-55.  Just my opinion of course.       But 35/1.4 is remarkable lens that is sharp wide open at F/1.4 which is something special.   Just imagine how great the 56/1.2 will be!

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow