I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .

Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Rob and Hiking tripod
In reply to Hollander, Oct 10, 2013

Hollander wrote:

Great shot of the eagle Ed.

Thanks Rob.

Now if I only get myself used to the idea to carry a tripod instead of leaving it at home.

My hiking tripod is a light aluminum SLIK model with 3-section legs that is around 30 to 40 years old. With the legs fully extended (without a camera attached), it makes a nice walking stick as my hand fits nicely around the three legs at a point just under the top hinge bracket. With the SX50 attached, this is also a good balancing point carried together by my side. Fully extended, it also comes in handy when I need to poke through the brush or marsh grass to get a better view of a subject. And fully extended, I like the height including the shaft as well, as the EVF is right at my eye level. All that and when fully compressed, it's only about 20 inches.

It's old and beat up and has traveled a lot of miles, but I've never had to look to see if there's anything like it available today. If you ever see one that's similar, buy it. I would certainly miss it if I no longer had it.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow