Sigma Musings (Long) - Where Goeth Thou?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,637Gear list
Like?
Re: SIGMA going FF/MF
In reply to HBowman, 10 months ago

HBowman wrote:

I agree that SIGMA should move to a FF/MF system... in parallel with the actual APS-C system.

I do believe that Sigma wants to reuse their own lenses for system cameras.

So - as long as Sigma do not make medium format third party lenses, I do not believe they will consider a medium format system camera. Might be wrong - but ...

When it comes top good FF lenses - I am not up to date regarding Sigma's offering. Do they have a substantial amount of FF good quality lenses?

I Think they can do it, even if it is a gamble. BUT, they do have a good marketing approach, and probably the funds to do it.

Tweaking the current APS-C line by adding strong electronic for quickness and a live view is mandatory.

That said, they have the choice. Foveon is a good way and an awesome technology. They should be able to build a 22MP 48x36mm sensor with a 16 bit output, a body to go with, some lenses to start and a wide variety of adapters to adapt other brands lenses.

If they do it, be sure (even if the price is stratospheric) that many pros will move to this system, more than the few ppl who moved to pentax 645D. The 16 bit output is very important.

It will be a niche market, for sure, very few sales, but foveon have a reputation and studio/product photographers do not mind shooting at low ISO.

But, if they don't do that, they simply can jump on a FF DSLR (14 or 16bit), they will be clients for sure and the lenses are coming soon

As I said - I have really no knowledge regarding Sigma FF lenses. So ... why not ...

In principle I think you are right. The Foveon concept is superior per pixel. And to make a 60x3 MP camera for medium format would just blow anything else away. And to make a 30x3 MP for FF would be very impressive.

In practice those sensors would be VERY expensive though. Which might be a problem.

And ... it would be very irritating if there pops up a medium format 150 MP Bayer sensor just after the 60x3 MP Foveon sensor was launched.

Its a tough world.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow