Bottom Falls Out Of SD1 Merrill Prices

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,432
Like?
Re: Bottom Falls Out Of SD1 Merrill Prices
In reply to Truman Prevatt, 9 months ago

Truman Prevatt wrote:

On the Canon rumors site there is a mention of sigma announcing a mirror less system. That makes a lot more sense than a new sensor. It would be a small step to replace the DPX with a mirror-less camera system.

Time will tell.

http://www.canonwatch.com/rumor-will-sigma-announce-a-mirrorless-system-camera-in-two-days/

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Unless they can come up with a FF sensor this seems the best route to me.

The problem the SD1 has had is IMHO that it simply doesn't offer much of a cost/size saving over a FF DSLR, yes getting FF performance at low ISO from an ASPC sensor is impressive but the advantages are limated. I can see the reason Sigma went in that direction, most higher end ASPC DSLR users don't seem to want very small bodies, they want bodies of a similar size to that which can be achieved on FF with the likes of the D600 and 6D.

Mirrorless for me is clearly different, not because I don't expect Sony and potentially others to make a small FF body but that such a body is clearly going to have to be more prone to being unbalanced its lenses. Just look at what Sony is rumoured to be offering, a 28-70mm 3.5 - 5.6 kit zoom, a 35mm F f/2.8 prime and then a "luxury" 24-70mm Zeiss F/4 zoom(god knows how much that'll cost), all that to me clearly says that lens size is holding back the system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow