I don't normally use 1200mm for portraits, but . . .

Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Additional notes about the Eagle image
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 9, 2013

A lot of practice with this camera came to bear in capturing the image of the eagle as the opportunity was evolving in seconds. The camera was already attached to my lightweight hiking tripod as I turned it on and aimed while also spreading the legs and planting them on the ground. As I quickly zoomed in and focused on the eye, I saw that the eagle was turning its attention from us to something in the tree that you can see in the reflection in its eye. As the low afternoon sun being filtered through that same tree only gave a slow shutter at my default turn-on ISO (80), I knew I had to quickly but gently squeeze off the shot before the tripod was set and steady, but also before the opportunity was gone.

It was a sense of relief when I saw the image on the LCD and magnified it to view the eye. I truly almost didn't believe I had pulled it off. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow