Started Oct 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jidery
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
30mm vs 50mm vs 100mm macro on A77
Oct 9, 2013

I decided I want to try out some macro shots, so I am looking at the current Sony offerings.

The 30mm macro looks like the best bang for buck as I plan to stick to crop sensors for now. Obviously, if I ever do move to FF it would be rendered useless. My biggest worry is if that is too short of a working distance. Mind you 45mm equiv isn't that wide, its not all that tight either.

So while I am still considering the 30mm macro (its an amazing price at $150) I am still looking at the 50 and 100mm macro leses. For me the prices are very close, about $100 apart so deciding between them is mostly down to what I want. I do have plenty of experience shooting with my nifty 50 on my 77, so I am leading towards that.

However looking at the 100mm, I figured with its 2.8 aperture, it wouldn't be a bad portrait lens. My biggest worry is a 150mm FOV, which may be a bit too long to work with in most cases, or am I off on that thought?

What do you think?

As for after market, I am fine with tameron, minolta and sigma, but I wold really rather stick with Sony lenses.

jidery's gear list:jidery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 A3000 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow