Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878Gear list
Like?
Is your computer ready for FF?
10 months ago

I don't think some realize what it's going to be like handling these file sizes. Shooting RAW and JPEG on the NEX-7 produces close to 30mb of disk space. Raw alone is a 24mb file. If you convert to TIFF for post processing, it's a 140mb file. I realize that HD space is becoming more and more affordable but it's also a load on the CPU importing and processing these files. Throw in Wi-FI and you've got a dysfunctional slow process with even the fastest networks and machines. SSD's are a little faster than spinners but it is still slow handling these file sizes, especially for folks like us that go out and shoot dozens of pics in a few hours. I'm all for better image quality but it's like watching paint dry sometimes. I haven't handled 36mb files yet but it has to be worse, especially with image data convertor, let alone Lightroom. Be prepared to see "LOADING" all the time using 24 or 36mp. It's a PITA. For reference, I have an i5 with 8mb of RAM on Win 8. More RAM and a little faster CPU may help but I don't think by much.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
FUDNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow