E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,148Gear list
Like?
Re: One small point
In reply to Andy Westlake, Oct 9, 2013

Andy Westlake wrote:

Overall, it seems to me that the only real point of disagreement left is that I don't think the specific vertical double-image I see with the E-P5 comes from the same mechanism as the 'shutter shock' images I have - the blur is just so much stronger. Here there's one specific point worth discussing:

Anders W wrote:

However, what you said about your own test results in a prior post (i.e., that you see the same blur with the E-P5 when you shoot with as much as two-second self-release or anti-shock delay) rules out, to my mind, the possibility that it is the shock due to button-pressing that is the culprit. As far as I can see, there is no way the "shock" due to button-pressing could last as long as two seconds.

Equally, though, if the shake were due to shutter shock, it should be just as 'fixed' with 2 second anti-shock as it is with 1/8 second. In practice, 2 second anti-shock gives just as much shake as 2 second self-timer. That's difficult for me to fit with a shutter shock explanation.

Agreed. Your observations as they currently stand would seem to rule out both shock due to button pressing as the cause (since you get blur even after waiting two seconds) and shock due to shutter action (since two-second anti-shock doesn't help). So what's left in the way of possible explanations?

My guess would be that we shouldn't, in reality, be looking for some new third cause but that at least one of your observations/tests isn't quite right in one way or the other. I am perfectly aware, from lots of first-hand experiences with testing (I guess I can call myself a professional tester and I teach testing, albeit not camera testing, on the Ph.D. level) how easy it is to make such mistakes and unfortunately I keep making them myself from time to time in spite of all my experience. Shutter shock is a case in point here since a) the problem is certainly stochastic rather than deterministic (particularly in hand-held shooting) so that you need sufficiently large samples and b) there are lots of variables to keep constant, which may not be all that easy (I am thinking here particularly of the way you hold the camera and anything related to that).

At this point, while there are certainly other tests which could be done to try to pin things down, it starts to look like a lot of time spent for minimal benefit. What matters here are the two simple observations - the E-P5 seems unusually prone to producing blurred images, and the anti-shake setting looks like an option worth trying for users who notice this and consider it a problem.

With an eye not only to the present but also to the future (I am afraid this is not the last time we hear about a problem of this kind), I still think it would be nice if the "mystery" posed by the sum total of your current observations/tests could be resolved in a more satisfactory manner than is currently the case.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow