E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Andy Westlake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928Gear list
Like?
Nothing wrong with debate
In reply to Anders W, 11 months ago

Just to be clear, I have no objections to this discussion at all, but I can't spend all my time on this forum arguing my case - I have a job to do. So here's a quick summary of my thinking:

1) I think Anders is absolutely correct about way shutter shock is transmitted in Olympus cameras - I can see no evidence whatsoever that the shutter specifically vibrates to the sensor internally. The entire camera has to move (and, obviously, tilt). So the 'floating' IS system is not to blame.

2) I can see shutter shock on the E-P5 quite clearly, if I look hard enough. But I have to use a 40-150mm at 150mm on a 'wobbly' tripod to do so, and the shake pattern is distinctly different to what I see in handheld shooting. I can't see the same effect with ether the 60mm F2.8 Macro or the 45mm F1.8 at shutter speeds which give hand-held blurring.

3) When I can see shutter shock, it's absolutely reproducible shot-to-shot, as you'd predict. But the handheld effect is both much larger in magnitude, and random in its occurrence - it affects perhaps 60% of shots using the 60mm macro at 1/160sec. I've done a *lot* of testing of camera shake and image stabilisation systems for all sorts of camera/lens combinations, and this is relatively high in my experience.

4) Images that show blurring just don't look much different with or without IS enabled. To me, the simplest explanation is that the IS simply doesn't correct it, for whatever reason.

My main point is still that the E-P5 really is different to the E-M5, in terms of image blurring when shooting hand-held. That is why we called it out in the review. Richard knows the E-M5 very well - he reviewed it - and I own one and use it for much of my personal shooting, so we're not lacking in perspective. Of course we both have a lot of experience across loads of cameras of many types.

I don't think that shutter-shock tests done on other cameras, however well-conducted, can be generalised across to everything else out there - I've shot with countless cameras over the six years I've been working for DPReview, and they all have different characteristics. I see no reason not to believe that such things as shutter button design and placement could influence camera movements, and the E-M5's has a much longer travel, and softer feel, than the E-P5's.

The good news, though, is that 1/8 sec anti-shock seems to fix the E-P5's shakes..

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andy Westlake's gear list:Andy Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow