D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Progress.
In reply to MarkJH, Oct 9, 2013

MarkJH wrote:

Thanks for this primer, Leif.

It's a good start, but it doesn't really answer any of the questions I posed above.

Consider:

Leif Goodwin wrote:

The sensor component consists of the sensor itself, an array of lenses to focus light into each photocell, a 3 colour Bayer matrix, and a filter assembly. The latter consists of one or more layers of glass or glass like material.

Is it glass or is it "glass-like material"?  Which is it?  Is it the same in every camera?  What is the "glass-like material?"  Is one or the other more difficult to damage?

In most cases if not all the exposed surface is glass.

There may be an Optical Low Pass Filter, a plain glass plate, and UV and IR filters.

"May" be?  Or "is?"

Depends on the camera. The D600 has an OLPF.

The latter may be glass or achieved by dielectric coatings.

"May" be?  Or "is?"

In the D600 is glass or a glass like material. N

So you are cleaning a glass surface.

Wait: I thought we were saying I "may" be cleaning a "glass" or some other unidentified "glass-like material."  How are you certain, now, that we're cleaning a glass surface?  And what about the coating?

No the exposed surface is glass.

They might even hard coat it, or make it from a hard glass.

Which?

I don't know, I no of no information from Nikon.

You still want to take care when cleaning it as grit could scratch it.

Just to reset: I'm not asking all of these questions to impeach your helpful knowledge, Leif.

But, when you're doing something the manufacturer tells you, unequivocally, not to do ("under no circumstances,") then it'd probably be a good idea to be sure of what you know and how you came to know it.

They say that to avoid law suits. And to make more money for shops and service centres.

Remember, the Nikon engineers who decided that "Under no circumstances" was their statement can answer every question I've asked, in my last post and this one, with specificity and data.   They know whether it's a "glass" or "glass-like" substance (and they can identify it, exactly).  They know how it's coated, what it's coated with, and how hard the coating is.  They know what it'd take to scratch it--not anecdotally ("be careful of grit") but exactly (material interactions, pressure, etc.)  They know whether swabbing pressure (and how much) might damage piezo-electric isolation and freedom of movement.

If we're choosing between anecdote that says "it's okay to swab" and exact, specific, data-driven knowledge that says "under no circumstances," then I'm struggling with the reason we should favor anecdote.

But if your knowledge extends beyond anecdote, that'd be excellent!  Tell us more and source what you're talking about.  That'd be awesomely helpful.

I have been cleaning my sensors for years as have pros, probably all well known pros, or their assistants. And as have goodness knows how many people here.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow