D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: Smiling, Happy People Holding Hands
In reply to MarkJH, Oct 9, 2013

Mark, it seems you want to be right. You are right. Cleaning a sensor is a dangerous task that is not authorized by nikon and can void your warranty. You should not do it.

Since I did not manufacture the eclipse solution, manufacture the AA filter and have not used scientific tests to show the result of such product on an AA filter, you should avoid my opinion. In fact I am sure some people at calumet don’t do a good job of cleaning a sensor. I am sure some rush it. Much like how some people send a nikon to nikon for cleaning and it comes back more dirty.

I think the good folks at copper hill images can answer all your concerns. Write him an email because you clearly know what to ask and post back the response.

Here is what I DO KNOW. I do know both my D600's have lubricant splatter. I do have test images that I have kept from day one showing before and after shots. I have cleaned my sensor using products that are designed for the task and have been used since 2002 by people that have been doing it since that time. I do it following the directions and have a clean sensor after doing it. I am happy with the results I get and am thankful for Nicholas and all of his help. I continue to support them because they take pride in what they sell. I am aware of other people that use the same products with care and I am glad to be able to do it without shipping my camera off and paying for it and having down time. Should I damage my sensor, I will let you know.

Based upon my own experience and that of professionals I know (people that do the same thing I do and shoot for money and don’t have time to send off gear for a simple sensor cleaning), I find it is a good skill and rewarding to be able to maintain my own equipment.

If and when you do get a D600 or A D610 again, ship it to Nikon and that way you are safe. Nikon has the top notch service of never sending back dirty sensors or returning cameras back with faulty shutters. I am sure the nikon rep will go out of his way to treat your sensor with as much care as you would and would never rush clean a camera. Nikon japans cleaning kit also is not a stick, kim wipes and eclipse equivalent.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow