Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
grasmuc
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
XF 23f1.4 first findings and test shots
9 months ago

I found a Fuji XF 23f1.4 at a local Guangzhou foto dealer. Of course bought it:--)

The lens i bigger than (I) expected, looks very cool on the X-E1. Actually the size should not be a surprise, a 135 format 35f1.4 lens also is always much bigger than a 50f1.4.

The 23 has the same manual focus lens barrel shift mechanism like the 14. IMO both the lens barrel and the MCS switch allow quick convenient toggeling between M and AF w/ keeping the eye at the viewfinder, so no preference from my side.

I just took very few street life pics and one series of sharpness/contrast test pics from my balcony that I want to share.The two pics enclosed are at f2.

AF speed similar to the 35, but need more time for examination.

The lens hood is huge. Hmm, maybe I won't use it for street photography.

Findings from test pics (raw. acr conversion. automatic ca removal. no vignetting correction. no distortion correction. sharpness usm 80/0.5):

- sharpness good at f1.4 in center and at corner. corner sharpness at open aperture is really impressive (I should do the same test with the 14 and 35 for comparison ...)

- sharpness improves significantly at f2, at f2.8-f4, the pics are essentially perfectly sharp across the whole frame

- contrast rather low at f1.4, improves at f2, very good form f2.8

- barely any vignetting at f1.4

- barely any geometrical distortion (please excuse my incapability to level the camera horizontally on the small ball head tripod)

Can't wait for the XF 56f1.2 to complete my favorite prime lens set up (21/35/50/85 in 135).

Enjoy, Chris

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4

X-E1 + XF 14, 21, 35

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4 @f2

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4 @f2

X-E1 + XF 23f1.4 + lens hood

XF 23f1.4 test

test scene

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow