D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: "Truth is . . . "
In reply to MarkJH, 10 months ago

I really like the fact that you said you could not confirm that any of us people on here are “pros” so our advice or the fact that we clean our sensor is not that reliable of a source. I gave you known professional shooters that have been doing the procedure and provide good advice and you shoot that down and focus on his voice or crack jokes. You also question what the AA filter is made of. Well I find it interesting that you don’t own the D600 and got rid of it cause your “business partnership” standards had not been met yet you keep spending all this time disputing what is common practice amongst professionals and want to question technical qualities of the AA filter.

Nikon warranty also does not approve damage caused by a sigma, tokina,  tamron lens, off brand flash, transmitter or any other accessory yet people purchase and use these parts.

I guess we should question what kind of capacitor is inside a phottix flash and without knowing that, we should say everyone that uses the flash is not as smart as us since they can’t list the part. What metal a tamron lens mount is made of vs Nikon? Nikon said not to use a tamron lens.

Camera stores sell products made by photographic solutions and in fact they use such parts to service cameras in the store. They are not Nikon techs but sales people that are trained how to clean a sensor in the store. Like calumet offers sensor cleaning service while you wait and they sell the same product in the store. Nothing magical or special.  It is amazingly right on the shelf along with a photo of a dirty sensor and tells you what products to buy to clean your sensor. They must be going broke from all the scratched AA filter services they do right?

The fact that visible dust, copper hill images and photographic solutions sell these products and people use them everyday with great results (if they follow the directions) means that your line of questioning of the AA filter and what is safe is kind of like trying to say you know something that these companies don’t and know what is safe or not. They tested these products and sell them successfully because they work when used correctly. So you seem to think that a company will warranty replacing people’s sensors at $700 a pop knowing that the product is DANGEROUS?

If you are a walk the straight line kind of guy that is okay. If you want to quote the manual that is okay.  I don’t know it all that is why I did the research and spoke with Nicholas at copper hill images and used the product that he has been selling and people have been using safely since 2002. Before the days of these systems, people successfully used spatulas and pec pads to clean the sensor. It has been going on since the first digital cameras came out. You can question the design of a AA filter and that is fine but thinking that a product that is designed specifically for this task and is guaranteed for this task is not safe is not based on any factual information on your part but rather twisting a warranty statement to be your reason for saying that others don’t know what they are talking about.

Nikon says don’t clean your sensor because they know that a certain group of people don’t use the proper tools or follow directions and the sensor is one of the most expensive cost to Nikon so it is natural that they want to keep people from doing it. Besides Nikon would rather get paid to clean the sensor don’t you think?

Since I am an average Joe, maybe you can contact nicholas and direct all your questions to him.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow