Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,066Gear list
Like?
Re: E-P5 and "shtter Shock"
In reply to Simon Cowell, Oct 8, 2013

Simon Cowell wrote:

Anders W wrote:

So if this IBIS version would somehow cause problems from a shutter-shock perspective, it would be because the electromagnets are too weak to hold the sensor in place with sufficient rigor. I personally deem that unlikely but I can't say I know for sure. However, one indication that this cannot be a major problem is that enabling the OIS of my 14-45 (and turning IBIS off) gives significantly less blur due to shutter shock than I get with IBIS on (and OIS off) or with both stabilization systems off. If the inabiliity of IBIS to simply hold the sensor in place with sufficient rigor would be a major factor, the OIS of the 14-45 wouldn't be able to help much.

Hmm, a counter argument might be that "the inability of IBIS to simply hold the sensor in place with sufficient rigor" could still produce some shake but which is within the safe bounds of OIS (and that's why you get less blur).

How would you define the "safe bounds of OIS"? If the OIS worked as it should but the sensor moved uncontrollably due to the shock, the image would be blurred.

After all, the double image effect that we see in the images posted here do not show a very high level of blur, it's the kind of blur that one might associate with subtle camera movement.

I think that apart from mechanical vibrations,

We have evidence (via the experiment described below but also via the investigation reported here

http://www.falklumo.com/lumolabs/articles/k7shutter/index.html

section 4.2) that the blur due to shutter-shock is not a matter vibration but of brute extraneous movement. Shock, pure and simple.

there may other variables that may play a role here and these need to discounted first, for example, electromagnetic fields produced by shutter movements that may affect the IBIS, circuit stability etc. But only Olympus can do this kind of testing in my view.

One can always dream up additional variables that may play a role but I think the possibilities you mention are rather far-fetched. They are also contradicted by the evidence at our disposal. One of the experiments I have performed is to place my E-M5 with the 100-300 at 300 mm (i.e., the most blur-sensitive combination possible) on the tiled concrete floor of my kitchen and fire it. There is no evidence of blur due to shutter-shock in that case. This rules out vibration as a cause (the floor prevents the camera from moving but not from vibrating) and also the factors you mention (or we'd still have blur).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow