E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Simon Cowell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,498
Like?
Re: E-P5 and "shtter Shock"
In reply to Anders W, 11 months ago

Anders W wrote:

So if this IBIS version would somehow cause problems from a shutter-shock perspective, it would be because the electromagnets are too weak to hold the sensor in place with sufficient rigor. I personally deem that unlikely but I can't say I know for sure. However, one indication that this cannot be a major problem is that enabling the OIS of my 14-45 (and turning IBIS off) gives significantly less blur due to shutter shock than I get with IBIS on (and OIS off) or with both stabilization systems off. If the inabiliity of IBIS to simply hold the sensor in place with sufficient rigor would be a major factor, the OIS of the 14-45 wouldn't be able to help much.

Hmm, a counter argument might be that "the inability of IBIS to simply hold the sensor in place with sufficient rigor" could still produce some shake but which is within the safe bounds of OIS (and that's why you get less blur). After all, the double image effect that we see in the images posted here do not show a very high level of blur, it's the kind of blur that one might associate with subtle camera movement.

I think that apart from mechanical vibrations, there may other variables that may play a role here and these need to discounted first, for example, electromagnetic fields produced by shutter movements that may affect the IBIS, circuit stability etc. But only Olympus can do this kind of testing in my view.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow