Started Oct 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,651Gear list
Like?
Re: bogus M43 (Olympus) critique?
In reply to CAcreeks, Oct 8, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

bowportes wrote:

I owned a Panasonic G1, GH1, GH2, GX1, and G5, and an Olympus EPL5, and I especially liked the GH2 and G5. The multi-zone auto focus of those cameras runs circles around my X-E1, and their video was tons better.

I took plenty of good photos with them, but never found the OOC colors (especially from the Olympus) particularly appealing, and the JPEG dynamic range always seemed limited, with highlights too easily blown.

That is a lot of cameras to own!

Did you not try Gradation=Auto on your EPL5?

I don't think it worked well before the new sensor, and Panasonic never had it and still doesn't.

Based on DPreview dynamic range charts, Auto Gradation works better than EXR to preserve both shadows and highlights.

It sounds like you didn't spend enough time with the manual...

I ALWAYS spend enough time with the manuals.  I love manuals.

Frankly, I didn't care for the over-saturated, warmish slant of Olympus colors.... Actually preferred the Panasonic colors, which seemed more natural OOC to me.  Just a personal preference.  But Panny too often blew highlights.  I don't have that issue with the Fuji cameras.

I also thought the LCD on the EPL5 was absurdly small.  A corner of the LCD screen cracked in my camera bag.  Just didn't have a good experience with Olympus... I found the G-series Panny cameras much more enjoyable to shoot with.  Still own the G5.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow