Making a superzoom for a compact is easy, but for a DSLR, it's hard?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,381Gear list
Like?
Re: Understanding demand curves
In reply to John1940, 9 months ago

John1940 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

headfirst wrote:

the CN-E30-300mm is a professional video/cine lens - high quality, high R&D/tooling cost & very low production nos. to recover it.

That explanation is backwards and doesn't satisfy. How many SLR users do we think actually enjoy changing lenses? I certainly don't.

Speaking for self and among the lenses I own, I prefer carrying:

8mm f/2.8, 16-50mm f/2.8, 70mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/2.8

Great lenses but surely not fun to carry around on long trips overseas! They would not even fit in most hotel or ship cabin safes. It's a tough trade off but I usually take a Canon 600D, a Sigma 10-20mm, a Sigma 18-200mm, and a Canon 60mm macro f/2.8. Plus my wife's G15 P&S. And her tablet. For the 600D the 18-200 has the worst IQ of the three but is used the most.

You're telling a person who DOES travel with these lenses, along with the one-lens solution (largely because the one-lens solution comes with its own issues). The two camera bodies (Sony A55, Sony NEX-3) and these lenses fit in a sling bag with room to spare but when traveling overseas, I generally carry my backpack, which also has room for extra clothing and a notebook).

And there's a reason for that: I prefer ILCs and would NEVER complain about having to change lenses... it is the reason I bought ILCs!

I might go for the Canon 15-85 at some point with the same 600D or (maybe) a 70D. The 15-85 might go wide enough for my travel uses but I'd need more telephoto, which requires a second lens. And, I might leave the macro at home.

The main place I'd really like a FF DSLR and high quality lenses is here at home. We've spent a lot of time and money this year on making our house and (especially) its surroundings (on 25 acres) look nicer. But APS-C is better for our type of travel. FF stuff is just too much of an issue size-wise. I still have three film SLRs that I lugged around for years.

Over:

18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 35 mm slrs and bigger lenses that I lugged aroung to many countries.

The first set covers 24mm-300mm at f/2.8. The second covers 28-375mm at f/3.5-6.3. Only on occasions when I don't mind compromising quality for convenience of one-lens solution, and am assured of good lighting, I pick the latter.

And even on occasions I might prefer one-lens solution, I have started to take two bodies. I carry Sony A55 with Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM as my kit lens, and have Minolta 70-210mm f/4 as my telephoto zoom on Sony NEX-3, good for 24mm-320mm f/2.8-4, a more versatile solution than 28-375mm f/3.5-6.3.

John1940

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow