E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,051Gear list
Like?
Re: E-P5 and "shtter Shock"
In reply to John Dyke, 9 months ago

John Dyke wrote:

I started this thread a few days ago and I have read every reply but I have not seen an answer to the following question:

If one uses a lightweight in-lens stabilized lens ( such as the Panasonic 14 - 45 ) and switches the E-P5 IBIS off, is there still a problem with "double image or is the problem solved?

It is very difficult to generalize about these matters because individual bodies and lenses (as well as the combination of the two) may work differently with respect to the things you are asking about.

In my testing/experience (with an E-M5 rather than an E-P5) the OIS on the Panasonic 14-45 is a bit special in that it appears to be capabable of actually counteracting the shutter shock (unlike the E-M5 IBIS and unlike the OIS on other Panasonic lenses I have, i.e., 45-200 and 100-300).

In general, I have also found that light lenses with short barrels have less problems with shutter shock than others, even with the FL held constant.

However, certain particular lenses, such as the Pansonic X 14-42 PZ are known to be particularly problematic as far as shutter shock is concerned, in spite of having OIS as well as a short and light barrel. Presumably, a negative interaction between the shutter shock and the OIS of this particular lens is the culprit in this case.

If the problem disappears, one could assume that the E-P5 IBIS is the source of the "double image".JD

No, one couldn't. What DPR has apparently already tested is that with an unstabilized lens, turning the IBIS of the E-P5 on or off doesn't change much. I have obtained the same result when testing with the E-M5. This shows that IBIS doesn't help against the shock but doesn't do much if anything to exacerbate it either.

If the problem disappears when you put a stabilized lens on the camera and turn IBIS off, as you suggest, it shows that the OIS of the lens in question can counteract the shutter shock rather than that IBIS is the source of it.

Note that different IBIS and OIS implementations may work differently in this respect. My description above refers to the new IBIS first appearing in the E-M5, but does not necessarily apply to older Oly IBIS versions.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow