Whats the best cheap lens for landscape?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,099Gear list
Like?
Re: Whats the best cheap lens for landscape?
In reply to Mr 3, 9 months ago

Hi,

It depends what you mean by "best" and "cheap".

There is no best.  It depends how you see the landscape scenes before you and want to compose from reality. Pentax offers prime lenses from a 14mm (though the 15mm/4 is a landscape favorite) through to 100mm which might regularly be used as landscape and nature lenses, and you can go wider or longer if you like.  Primes offer the best quality and would suit the K3 better than cheap zooms, but they are typically more expensive.

In zooms, it's a bit more complicated because they overlap.  The DA18-55 kit lens (get the WR version for outdoor use) is the most economic choice, but would, I think, be rather a modest lens for the K3's capabilities.  The DA16-45mm/4 is a better lens and is also useful in having the wider angle at the start of the zoom range.  If your budget runs to it, the DA*16-50/2.8 is well respected by outdoor users.  The DA17-70 adds a bit of range.  The DA18-135 adds a lot more and is WR.  I'd suggest reading some reviews of all these lenses and checking out the posts of members here and on other sites.

Sorry, I haven't entertained pricing any of these options - it depends entirely on where you live in the world and who you deal with.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow