D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
MarkJH
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
Molly, you in danger, girl!
In reply to Alan Brown, 6 months ago

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

Cleaning a sensor is, at best, a dangerous chore. I have yet to meet a photographer who enjoys doing it.

dangerous.... as in crossing the road?

why would you choose such a word to describe cleaning?

curious.

Alan, I'll let Nikon explain my word choice for me.

Both the D7000 and D700 users' manuals discuss sensor cleaning with the same unambiguous language:

"Dirt that can not be removed with a blower can only be removed by Nikon-authorized service personnel. Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor."

It's "dangerous" because Nikon explicitly, unambiguously says you shouldn't do it.

you think personally about it.

?

I think "cleaning a sensor is, at best, a dangerous chore."

i.e. is this what you do, send it to Nikon for cleaning?

If I find "dirt that cannot be removed with a blower."

Nikon Japan sell a cleaning kit with instructional CD. http://shop.nikon-image.com/front/ProductPSP00052.do

Good for Nikon Japan. I bought my cameras from Nikon USA, and they have to be serviced by Nikon USA. Which means that if they arrive with a sensor filter scratch (or whatever could happen if I do what they specifically tell me not to do) it'll be Nikon USA's service policy I'll be dealing with. The measure of that policy is crystal clear:

"Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor."

I.e., you're SoL if you did.

I think dangerous is the wrong word here; use caution would be good advice. Heck you can do a lot damage with that unrelenting (hard) pointy thing, a blower, if poked around without care yet; this is promoted in the manual and no precautionary tale attached to it.

You talk about using a blower as though you were an info-mercial actor--you know, the kind of guy who can't pour cereal into a bowl and therefore needs "magic-bowl!" (limited time offer!)

You also forget that the Nikon manual(s) *do* include a "precautionary tale," in the form of specific illustrations showing both how one ought to hold the camera during the recommended cleaning procedure (mirror-box down) and how one ought to position the blower (never inside the mirror box, never beyond the plane of the lens mount).

You know as well as I, there are plenty of users, on this and other fora, cleaning sensors regularly without the catastrophy you imply.

I don't know that. I don't know that at all.

I know that there are plenty of users who think they can do so, who say they can do so, and who may or may not know jack about what they're actually doing or risking. How would anyone really know?

Let's say that "NikonFan99" tells us it's all OK, no big deal to swab those sensors day and night. Cool. But then I would be taking advice from a guy whose "qualification," here, is that he liked his defective $2000 camera so much he bought another one, which was also defective. I'd call that "exhibit A" in the general case that "plenty of users, on this and other fora," do all kinds of things I wouldn't want to do, myself.

Meanwhile, there's unambiguous instruction from the people who designed and built the camera: "Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor." I don't struggle to interpret "under no circumstances."

MarkJH's gear list:MarkJH's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow