Senior MemberPosts: 2,438Gear list
Like?
A relevant question...
In reply to Andy Westlake, 11 months ago

Andy Westlake wrote:

Anders W wrote:

[snip some]

A few things to keep in mind here:

First, in my experience/testing, the extent to which anti-shock helps at all is strongly dependent on how you hold the camera. If you hold it right (from a shutter-shock prevention point of view), anti-shock will not be of much additional help. If you hold it wrong, it will.

That sounds to me like an excellent descriptor of something that's highly influenced by camera shake, which logically is highly influenced by how you hold a camera.

As to the E-P5 specifically, note also that it has another shutter than previous Oly MFT cameras. Since the new shutter allows flash sync at a faster speed (1/320 rather than 1/250), its blades must by definition move at a faster speed than on earlier shutters. Everything else equal, this is a drawback from a shutter-shock point of view since greater speed yields more momentum to be absorbed.

Of course, everything else is equal only if the E-P5's shutter is the same mass as the E-M5's, and we don't know anything about that. Olympus also says the E-P5 has a reduced shutter lag compared to the E-M5, and it certainly has a less-soft feel to the shutter button.

The key point I'd really like to make, though, is that the specific shake issue we see with the E-P5 is not something we see in normal shooting with the E-M5. The two cameras behave differently, so whatever you've learned about the E-M5 may not apply.

As always, thanks to Andy & Anders for intelligent discussion. Now I haven't touched an E-P5, but have carried out a few (not enough!) tests on my E-M5, and wonder...

With a DSLR I assume that when it in portrait orientation, using, for instance an additional grip, the mirror shock continues to be in the direction of the mirror movement (short side), in spite of the holding position being at 90deg from normal. (I've never had a battery grip for a DSLR so have no experience.)

Has anybody yet tested (I haven't) the shutter shock issue using the battery grip on the E-M5?

From what you are saying -

a) if it is grip position related the shock should be along the long dimension (as the grip has changed but the method of holding is still similar to the 'normal' position), otherwise

b) if it is shutter related the shock should be along the short dimension as the shutter still operates relative to that.

Obviously the E-P5 doesn't have a battery grip afaik, and so this option couldn't discriminate there, but it may help with the E-M5 issues.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow