D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,879Gear list
Like?
i'm aware of the manual.. i'm interested in what
In reply to MarkJH, Oct 8, 2013

MarkJH wrote:

Alan Brown wrote:

MarkJH wrote:

Cleaning a sensor is, at best, a dangerous chore. I have yet to meet a photographer who enjoys doing it.

dangerous.... as in crossing the road?

why would you choose such a word to describe cleaning?

curious.

Alan, I'll let Nikon explain my word choice for me.

Both the D7000 and D700 users' manuals discuss sensor cleaning with the same unambiguous language:

"Dirt that can not be removed with a blower can only be removed by Nikon-authorized service personnel. Under no circumstances should you touch or wipe the sensor."

It's "dangerous" because Nikon explicitly, unambiguously says you shouldn't do it.

you think personally about it.

i.e. is this what you do, send it to Nikon for cleaning?

Nikon Japan sell a cleaning kit with instructional CD. http://shop.nikon-image.com/front/ProductPSP00052.do

I think dangerous is the wrong word here; use caution would be good advice. Heck you can do a lot damage with that unrelenting (hard) pointy thing, a blower, if poked around without care yet; this is promoted in the manual and no precautionary tale attached to it.

You know as well as I, there are plenty of users, on this and other fora, cleaning sensors regularly without the catastrophy you imply.

Alan

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow