Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,994Gear list
Like?
Re: Shock vs. shake
In reply to Andy Westlake, 11 months ago

Andy Westlake wrote:

tt321 wrote:

Removing shake, but giving shock a chance to shine, I'd have thought one should place the camera stably on a hard surface, but not screwed down so that whatever that surface is made of does not become the same body, thus increasing the mass.

You could do this, I suppose, but I seriously doubt it'll show anything different to my 'wobbly tripod' tests. You certainly don't need to do it to see mirror shock in SLRs (the whole problem with which is that it doesn't go away, no matter how heavy the tripod), and 'shutter shock' should have exactly the same properties.

I have done comparative testing with a very long FL (Pany 100-300 at the long end E-M5) and the camera mounted on a fairly decent tripod (Sirui T-1205X with G-10 head) versus resting on the perfectly rigid floor (tiles on top of concrete) of my kitchen. With the camera on the tripod, there are remaining signs of shutter shock in the critical range of shutter speeds (due to the very long FL and center-of-gravity displacements). With the camera resting on the floor, however, I could no longer see any signs of it.

To my mind, this experiment rules out the possibility that the shutter-shock problem is due to vibration (placing the camera on the floor prevents it from moving but not from vibrating). It also supports the idea that the effect of the shock depends on how the momentum is absorbed. In that regard, having it absorbed directly by mother earth as a whole (as when the camera is resting on the tiled concrete floor) is better than having it absorbed with a less than perfectly rigid tripod between the camera and the floor.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow