E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551Gear list
Like?
Re: Shock vs. shake
In reply to Andy Westlake, 11 months ago

Andy Westlake wrote:

I've explained many times what I think is going on with the E-P5 - it just seems unusually susceptible to shake movements in a certain shutter speed range that the IS system can't correct. This results in a distinct double-image blurring in perhaps 60% - 70% of your shots at the 'danger' speeds

Add to this one sentence saying that the motion is caused by shutter curtain and this will be an exact description of shutter shock.

, although this will be visible to a greater or lesser extent depending on other factors (for example, noise reduction at high ISOs will tend to mask it completely).

Note that the E-P5 is very different to the E-M5 here - this specific double-image blurring simply isn't visible from the latter when the two are shot side-by-side under controlled conditions. This doesn't necessarily mean there's no such thing as 'shutter shock' at all, either - just that I don't think it explains the specific blurring we see from the E-P5.

How many people did participate in E-P5 testing? And in side-by-side comparison with E-M5? Because shutter shock effect depends on operator. With other people it may show up differently.

Just like with E-M5 - some people experience shutter shock and some don't, in the same conditions. Long before E-P5 appeared it wasn't unusual to read arguments on this forum. Some presented evidences of shutter shock, other believed it doesn't exist.

Some things are puzzling though. Why blurred image comes back with long anti-shock delay, for example. I am not sure, possibly something may oscillate in camera and short delay counteracts shutter motion because of resonance? Can't tell, I never tried long anti-shock delays.

I also don't know why blurring seems to disappear on tripod. Did you try long telephoto? shutter shock may come back with 150+ mm lens on tripod.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow