Making a superzoom for a compact is easy, but for a DSLR, it's hard?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,698Gear list
Like?
Re: Understanding demand curves
In reply to Leandros S, 11 months ago

Leandros S wrote:

headfirst wrote:

the CN-E30-300mm is a professional video/cine lens - high quality, high R&D/tooling cost & very low production nos. to recover it.

That explanation is backwards and doesn't satisfy. How many SLR users do we think actually enjoy changing lenses?

Pretty much all of them do. They may not enjoy it that much but they have elected to change lenses in order to get the quality they want. If they wanted the convenience of never having to change lenses they probably would have bought something else.

I certainly don't. And yet, I slavishly continue in that bad habit because I've been told that I won't get good IQ with a travel lens. And the reason I bought an SLR is partly because I wanted that IQ.

I think you are making the mistake of thinking that what you want... should be what everyone else wants. If you want a superzoom lens (or a fixed superzoom camera) then by all means, you should buy one. It will suit your needs and your expectations. But do not assume that all those other people are buying prime lenses and 2X or 3X zoom lenses because they have no other choice, and they really wish they could buy a nice 25X zoom lens and be done with it.

So I'm quite convinced that if there were a reasonably good superzoom lens available at a decent price, everyone would go out and buy it.

Mighty big if. Reasonable is a relative term. Right now, there are reasonably good superzoom lenses for DSLRs. But most people don't buy them. Perhaps want something better?

I will probably buy one anyway eventually, even if reports keep showing that it's not as sharp and has additional distortion/aberration, simply b/c it will mean that I'll always be able to take the shot when it presents itself.

Sharpness is also a relative term. What is unsharp printed at 20" x 30" suddenly looks a lot sharper when printed at 8" x 10".

Buy exactly what you need.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow