ISOless sensors, read noise and photography - many questions!

Started Oct 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jack Hogan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,025
Like?
Re: full circle: "just raise ISO, when necessary!"
In reply to boardsy, Oct 7, 2013

boardsy wrote:

Thanks - I remember RT was well-regarded for its Beyer de-mosaicing algorithm; do you have any idea if it's better than Adobe Camera Raw for brightness/exp. comp./shadow noise?

As far as I can tell, all raw converters are more or less equivalent in terms of what they do and pretty close in 'IQ'. The stuff isn't rocket science:

• squeeze captured information into 16 bits of a colorimetric color space per your wishes (white balance, black and white point)
  • have a number of appropriate pre-cooked rendering recipes that look good (brightness/contrast curves, saturation, sharpening)
  • deal with CA, moirè and the like

That's pretty well it, the rest (like global or local corrections to squeeze in tones that would otherwise fall off either side of the histogram on output, lens corrections, noise reduction, sharpening) you can do in any decent editor - in most cases much better than a raw converter, also thanks to dedicated plugins (e.g. InFocus, Denoise, Tonal Contrast).

In the end it's just a matter of how convenient they make it and how well they address your preferred workflow. I find that Capture NX2 fits well my Nikonian low-volume high-IQ approach with a minimum of fuss so I like it.  Others have different approaches and prefer other converters. But as far as brightness/exp. comp./shadow noise is concerned, they are all pretty well equivalent imho.

Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BAM!New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow