bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X vs M43 weight and size comparison
In reply to stimpy, Oct 7, 2013

stimpy wrote:

bowportes wrote:

stimpy wrote:

I don't get m43 at all. I had a G3 for a few months and all that happened was I lost interest in photography.

Now I see the latest whizz bang Olympus body selling for more than a good Fuji with lens. It makes me laugh.

Eh? What don't you get?

Take the gx7 it's a small discrete ilc camera much like the xe1 with very similar iq in the real world.

The only real difference is ibis, fast and accurate af and decent video.

You have certainly identified the GX-7 advantages, but those aren't the only real differences. The Fuji has the advantage of a larger sensor, shallower depth of field, superior glass (especially on the "kit" zoom), better out-of-camera JPEG colors, wider dynamic range, and (IMO) a superior control model to the standard PASM model.

But you are listing technical differences, yes the sensor is slightly larger and the dynamic range slightly wider (though isn't the om-d and X100 the same according to DXO Mark?). Glass is very subjective, to rule out every possible lens for m43 inc leica is a bit naive; but no matter, if you feel it's better for you it's still impossible to demonstrate because most of it is just technical details that in all honesty do not relate to better or worse photos in 99.9% of cases, and if they do I'd love to be proved wrong and shown clear evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I love my X100 and will probably be buying the XE2 shortly, but as much as I love my Fuji's I can't see a major difference to some m43 setups, so I just don't get the guys like the OP who claim they could not get any decent photos with m43 and even go so far as to say the system them from photography.

That's a fairly dramatic statement haha.

I owned a Panasonic G1, GH1, GH2, GX1, and G5, and an Olympus EPL5, and I especially liked the GH2 and G5.  The multi-zone auto focus of those cameras runs circles around my X-E1, and their video was tons better.

I took plenty of good photos with them, but never found the OOC colors (especially from the Olympus) particularly appealing, and the JPEG dynamic range always seemed limited, with highlights too easily blown.

I'm having more fun with the Fuji cameras, but they appeal to the "methodical photographer" in me more than to the "quick snapper."

I agree that one can get incredible photos with either of these camera systems.  And by the way, the Fuji X-A1 and X-M1 (with pancake) are more pocketable than the Panasonic GX-7 (with pancake), I believe.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow