Why so little fanfare for the X-A1?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Why so little fanfare for the X-A1?
In reply to DJF77, 9 months ago

DJF77 wrote:

It's usually the flagship cameras that get the most attention, and rightly so. Many people on this forum either own an Xpro or XE1, its hard to get all excited about newer 'low end' models. Although I've no doubt the X-A1 will produce excellent images in the right hands.

I agree.

As some have noted, the X-M1 may be a better "little brother" to the top-of-the-line Fuji's. Having the same sensor as the X-E1 and X-P1 means that the X-M1 files can be processed with essentially the same settings. The X-A1, on the other hand, will require different approaches in post-processing even though one might achieve results of similar quality.

Beyond that, much of what "excites" about the X-E1 and X-P1 is lacking in both the X-M1 and X-A1. The latter both lack:

1. a shutter speed dial

2. a dedicated exposure compensation dial (on the X-M1 and X-A1 the "exposure compensation" dial becomes a "shutter speed" dial in Manual exposure mode

3. a physical button for shifting from Auto to Manual focus

4. a physical Auto exposure/focus Lock button

5. The ability to see the histogram on the screen (on my X-M1, the histogram can be seen only in image review / playback mode)

6. An aperture ring on the lenses that are sold with the camera

7. Perhaps most importantly, a viewfinder. The M1 and A1 don't even make provision for an accessory viewfinder

8. Black and white filter simulations (among the films) as well as the Pro Negative "film" options

9. Metal construction.

In place of those things, the M1 and A1 resort to the "every-camera-has-them" PASM mode dial, scene modes, creative filters, plastic body and the like, which are the kinds of things that many adopters of the higher end Fuji X-series cameras were happy to leave behind.

All of that said, it's nice to have some cheaper little brothers in the line-up for those who want something smaller or less expensive, or who prefer PASM mode dials and such. I have picked up an X-M1 with 27mm lens for when I want something more pocketable, and as a backup to my X-E1 if it is ever temporarily out of commission. As a long time photography aficianado though, it's difficult for me to take any camera without a viewfinder too seriously.

Maybe that helps to answer your question.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow