E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
3DrJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Shock vs. shake
In reply to Andy Westlake, 11 months ago

Thank you very much for the prompt and thorough response.  I think it helps clear up some of the confusion and misunderstanding regarding problems with the EP5, and perhaps other cameras too.

Andy Westlake wrote:

3DrJ wrote:

In recent threads it was discussed how DPR seemed to obfuscate the issue in the EP5, stating differences when using touch screen vs. shutter button. In other words, if we believe DPR's idea, the source of "shake" that affects images is broader than just the mechanical action of the shutter, thus confusion among camera owners as well as testers.

'Shutter shock' should look like mirror shock on SLRs, and have the same characteristics. Crucially, mirror shock is visible on a tripod, and 100% reproducible shot-to-shot. It's also independent of how the shutter is released (shutter button, remote release, touchscreen etc). This is well known, and it's why most SLRs have a mirror lock-up function.

Is it possible that effects of shutter action in mirrorless cameras might look somewhat different than mirror shock, given mirror and shutter components have different movement, timing, mass, and direction?  In principle the idea is similar, but could differences in mirror and shutter mechanics produce variant effects that aren't easily classified?

The phenomenon we observed with the E-P5 does not look this at all. With the camera on a tripod, there's absolutely no hint of blurring, in all the test shots I've taken (which runs into hundreds). This is true not just on the properly-solid tripods I normally use for testing, but also on the lightest, flimsiest tripod I own, which is very wobbly indeed (I wouldn't dream of using the E-P5 on it normally). The shake also substantially goes away if you use the touchscreen to release the shutter when shooting handheld. This doesn't fit a 'shutter shock' explanation at all.

Yes, quite clear now that you are saying the EP5 did not manifest shutter shock at all.  But there were other sources of shake/blur that are harder to characterize.  Finding the use of touch screen vs. shutter button reduces the shake/blur is puzzling: what would we call this form of shake-induced blur?

The shake does substantially go away if you shoot-hand with 1/8 sec anti-shock. ...

If not "shutter shock" what is going on that accounts for this observation?

... It's visible again if you shoot hand-held with a 2 second self-timer, and my impression is that this has often been considered clinching proof of a shutter shock mechanism. The problem is that this comparison changes two variables at once, which any trained experimentalist will tell you is a bad idea. The correct comparison with 2 second self-timer is 2 second anti-shock - and in my testing, shake is (perhaps unexpectedly) similarly visible with both - it comes back again with the longer anti-shock delay. Again, I don't see how this observation can fit a 'shutter shock' mechanism.

For me it's difficult to parse what happens in each instance or combination of AS and 2sec delay.  If not fitting classic "shutter shock" patterns, it leaves open questions about exactly what phenomena are actually represented in the resultant images.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

I truly appreciate your effort to clarify the issue, and the meaning of "shutter shock" is indeed clearer thanks to your exposition.

What questions remain center around a derivative query: if not shutter shock, then what is the nature of these other patterns of shake/blur we are seeing?  A consistent, descriptive terminology is sorely needed to relieve persistent confusion.

Thanks,

Jules.

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow