Advice for discreet home lighting for spontaneous baby photos?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SomervillainSteven
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Advice for discreet home lighting for spontaneous baby photos?
9 months ago

Does anyone have advice on improving the light in existing fixtures to yield better photos at night?  I want my photos to look better, but not have photoshoot gear take over the living room.

I wanted to learn photography when I found out my wife was pregnant and made a resolution to take a photo every day of my son. He was born in April and I could get home from work before the sun went down. Now it's getting darker sooner in New England and I have to rely on artificial light.

My luck with speedlighting (430 EX 2 bouncing off ceiling) has been pretty mixed and the flash is very invasive (jars the baby, makes him stop playing to wonder why bright light is flashing at him).

Any advice on taking great photos with conventional lighting? I am using a Canon 1.8 50mm prime lens for most photos.

My wife won't tolerate me leaving umbrellas in the living room...or anything that is clearly designed for a photoshoot.

Are there any domestic lamps folks can recommend that make it look like we have a normal living room? I noticed some photo bulbs at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=photo+bulb&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aphoto+bulb but they're huge and I can't fit them in our existing lamps.

Are there smaller bulbs that could fit in conventional lamps or fixtures that would take good photos?  The bulbs I have found from Home Depot are either scary blue or really yellow and lead to some pretty bad pics.

Any ideas?  Am I not thinking of something?  Has anyone had luck with the dilemma?

Thanks!!!

Steven

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow