E-P5 and "shtter Shock"

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: E-P5 and "sh_tter Shock"
In reply to John Dyke, Oct 7, 2013

What I don't get about this issue, is that every image I have seen that demonstrates it shows a distinct "double image" and not a smear (a blur along a vertical line). As though during the exposure the camera started at one position, was pitched up/down by a jolt so quick that the light captured during this time has little effect on the image, and then finished the exposure stationary at this pitched up position.

If what is seen in the final image is due to continuing vibrations or resonance after a "shock", I would expect there to be a smear as the pitch of the camera vibrated up and down.

Also, lets think about this for a second. The changes in movement or motion that could jolt the camera are during acceleration events:

a. Shutter button pressed

b. Bottom shutter curtain starts moving up

c. Bottom shutter curtain gets to the top and stops

d. Bottom shutter curtain starts moving down (start of exposure)

e. Bottom shutter curtain gets to the bottom and stops

f. Top shutter curtain starts moving down

g. Top shutter curtain gets to the bottom and stops (end of exposure)

Steps e and f are in this order because the shutter speeds affected are below the cameras flash sync speed. Which is another thing to take into account, the shutter curtains in the EP5 are moving twice as fast as in previous PEN cameras and it the shutter curtains aren't a quarter of the mass of before, then their movement is putting more energy in. Flash sync of 1/320s seems to have pushed things too far.

The anti shock delay, which seems to reduce the effect of this, goes between step c and d, correct? Normally, the delay between these 2 steps is how long it takes to clear and reset the sensor, which is about 4ms, so adding another 125ms is going to make a big difference here, since the bottom curtain has a double inertia effect here (it stops, then it changes direction). However, if the shock that is causing it is just before the start of exposure, wouldn't the double image show more at the bottom of the image (which is exposed first) than at the top? That's not what I've seen in the examples, its happening equally across the image.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow