Making a superzoom for a compact is easy, but for a DSLR, it's hard?

Started Oct 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,830
Like?
Re: Getting to the bottom...
In reply to Leandros S, Oct 7, 2013

Leandros S wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

People say that interchangeable superzoom ("travel") lenses can't manage good sharpness, yet superzoom compacts do just fine in terms of sharpness. Why is that?

smaller sensors being easer to design lenses for

But why?

A smaller sensor needs a shorter lens with a smaller image circle, these elements make it easier to design.

I still don't find that intuitive. Other than the issue of flange distance, you should be able to scale a bridge camera design up to being an exchangeable lens, and vice versa. Added to that, miniaturising things is technically harder than making them bigger - at least in terms of R&D. At the small scale, imperfections are much more noticeable, so the glass actually needs to be higher quality.

Look at the sensor size for your typical superzoom, (generally 1/2.3" which is is about 1/15th the size of an ASPC sensor) then imagine how large and expensive an upscaled superzoom lens would be.

Compact camera's might be smaller than larger sensor options but the camera body is larger relative to sensor size so more able to support a long zoom without becoming over sized.

Again though I'd say expectation likely plays into this a lot. A superzoom for a large sensor camera will be judged by much higher standards than a superzoom compact lens.

And yet, I don't hear the superzoom compact reviews droning on about sharpness. In fact, the last time I remember that complaint as referring to the glass rather than the autofocus accuracy was in an HX300V review - that being a 20MP camera!

As I said I think your typical superzoom buyer isn't going to be as hung up on image quality hence the reviews won't tend to focus on it as much.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow