Making a superzoom for a compact is easy, but for a DSLR, it's hard?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Re: Making a superzoom for a compact is easy, but for a DSLR, it's hard?
In reply to brianj, 11 months ago

brianj wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

People say that interchangeable superzoom ("travel") lenses can't manage good sharpness, yet superzoom compacts do just fine in terms of sharpness. Why is that?

I still have a film SLR camera tamron 28-300mm zoom that is huge but it worked ok when I used to use it. Are we saying the same cannot be easily done for digital, or are we saying 300mm is not a superzoom?

Brian

I don't know. One hypothesis I had was that people have been getting obsessed with lenses having to start at 18mm. 18-250/270mm should be more challenging to design and build than 28-300mm, I would imagine. Fourteen-fold zoom vs. eleven-fold. I guess it's possible that 18-200mm lenses are significantly better than 18-250. I have my doubts though. In any case, 18 seems to be some kind of magical number, presumably b/c consumers tend to buy their ILC with an 18-55 or equivalent lens and want to upgrade to something that seems on the face of it to require no compromise. 18-270 does that whereas 22-300 might not (numbers for illustration only). Consumer psychology?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow