Senior MemberPosts: 2,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Coke Bottle & Old Tshirt Flash Diffuser
In reply to Simon Devlin, 6 months ago

Simon Devlin wrote:

Jenna B wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

Version 2? Love the DIY.

Although like with any diffuser (like a Stofen one in particular) you are losing a hell of a lot of light in all directions not directed at Mr. Ladybug.

If you can concentrate it down you can get more power and use greater depth of field with higher F numbers.

Have you looked at flash brackets? This way the flash head is right beside the lens. There are cheapo Hong Kong ones but see if there are a good brand on Ebay. I'll be buying one of these soon. They don't cost that much.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Hi Simon!

The problem for me with the coke bottle diffuser was actually too much light... at ISO 80 and 1/180, I was getting blown highlights quite a lot, so I have gone back to the drawing board and come up with something else

Your flash not have HSS (High Speed Sync)?

This allows you to go beyond the default sync shutter speed. (up to 1/6000 on my K-30.

I bought a Metz 50 AF1 recently with HSS. Due to exam commitments I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Can't wait to Wednesday afternoon to get the gear out!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Hi Simon!

This flash is the cheapest of the cheap - it only has an on/off switch and a test button, that's it - It's P-TTL, but I have to fool it to switch on by using the red-eye reduction flash mode, so need to wait for pre-flash every time I take a photo.

-- hide signature --

Always smiling! Jenn x
Flikr = http://www.flickr.com/photos/silentskies/
Personal Website = http://www.silentskies.co.uk/

Jenna B's gear list:Jenna B's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Epson Stylus Photo 1400 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow