workaround to Fuji AUTO DR problem and manual exposure mode exposure meter issue

Started Oct 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,285Gear list
Like?
workaround to Fuji AUTO DR problem and manual exposure mode exposure meter issue
Oct 7, 2013

I figured I'd post this in a separate thread for others to see

I found a work around for fixing the AUTO DR problem in all modes and exposure meter bug in manual mode...... use spot metering all the time. It's less confusing to the camera when it calculates what DR values to use and also keeps the exposure meter from jiggling all over the place. Now the only thing I am upset about with Fuji is that their exposure meter in manual mode DOES NOT INCLUDE A DIGITAL READ OUT! ahhhhhhhh! so if you want to, let's say underexpose by 2/3 of a stop you have no way of knowing it except by estimating it by the location of the notch on the EV scale. Would it have been so hard for them to include a digital readout in manual mode; obviously not- since they have it in all the other modes!

Now I need some help with something:

Since I use spot metering all the time (the reasons are outlined in my previous post- it really helps with AUTO DR and also stabilizes the exposure meter in manual mode), is there any way I can get the camera to spot meter right when I half press the shutter button? Like, let's say I want to focus on a point that's not in the center of the frame...... I focus and then recompose. Can the same be done with spot metering or do I need to use the AE lock button for that? I always use center focusing mode because it ties focusing point to spot metering, but then I dont know if I can meter and recompose the same way I can focus and recompose.

also another thing- I turned on a feature I find really useful on my HS20 but I dont know (or forgot) what setting I used to turn this on or what this is- can anyone help?

As soon as you take a picture (in any mode) you see the entire picture with a white square box right in the middle where the focus point formerly was. This appears for a fraction of a second, and then the area inside the box is enlarged to cover the entire LCD. A scale appears on the left with a meter and a notch all the way at the top of the scale (I assume this indicates that the camera is digitally zooming in to the focal point?) This has helped me a great deal because now I can see a magnified view of the exact point of focus right after I take the shot, it also shows me the level of NR and chroma noise (for example) since it digitally zooms everything and if I find it unacceptable I can lower my shutter speed so that the camera automatically lowers the ISO by 1/3 stops (that's why I use shutter priority.) Not only that, it tells me if there is any amount of blur in the photo, which you cannot see with the regular full view of the frame. This is a great help to me since I can see minute details in the photo as soon as I take the picture so if I need to adjust any settings on the fly, I can, and retake the picture if necessary. To get back into regular shooting mode, you then half press the shutter button and you're there

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow