D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: The Well-Tempered Report
In reply to MarkJH, 10 months ago

One thing you could do: you could decide you aren't going to further patronize the company that made it.

Well I actually thought about that but you see, I am heavily invested in nikon glass, speedlights and accessories and on top of that. The alternative was the canon 6D which did not have a second SD slot (I shoot weddings so a backup of my images is priceless). Did not have the same AF system and in fact had a AF system that is not as good as the 7D. Did not have a focus assist light and that is just the start of the list. I also felt the dust issue was manageable and was improving. I did not want a D800 because of price and add to that the larger files. So for me it is risk vs reward and actually not even risk but inconvenience of cleaning vs reward. Btw, the issue gets better with time.

Since all things are relative, for some people a multi-thousand dollar investment is significant. It's reasonable to be upset when that investment doesn't live up to its promise in important ways.

We can agree that upset shouldn't lead to photographic paralysis. But where we disagree is in the action we think the upset should provoke. See below

You still have not said what SHOULD be done when upset. Please include the solution that allows the user to keep shooting and not selling every other lens or camera body they own at a loss.

I haven't heard of anyone looking to ditch a D600 for a D610. That's the ire you think this fracas has aroused? That's what you're advising against? If so, it's revelatory "NikonFan99": it's as if you can't imagine not patronizing Nikon.

The question isn't whether you should ditch a D600 for a D610. It's whether, having been burned, you should buy anything with a Nikon stamp on it again.

Since you did, I am suggesting your testimony isn't even-tempered and doesn't make broad rhetorical sense: you're writing from a perspective that doesn't / can't envision the many capable alternatives

So please share the many capable alternatives for current users that own a D600 with this life ending event of frequent sensor cleanings for a period of time. I also am asking what you main goal is here? Are you selling other brands here or what are you trying to say. Please talk to me as a current nikon user with lots of nikon gear and one that has resolved his issue with the cleaning process over time.

No one's going to do that. No one was ever going to do that. Again: it's as if you can't imagine not patronizing Nikon. Which is why you don't have a tempered perspective on this matter.

Don't read me wrong: it's good you can turn a frown upside down; it's good you aren't stuck in analysis paralysis; it's good you like what you like. But what you like appears to be pretty idiosyncratic: to you, Canon is for people who shoot white walls; but otherwise, the direct Canon alternatives (to say nothing of what's out there from others) look pretty capable and do not appear to suffer from manufacturing defects.

Really so NO ONE IS EVER going to sell a D600 to go to a D610 because of this issue? Seems like a pretty big blanket statement. Also yes canon is great but my argument is not if canon is great. My argument is that if you own a dust machine, be realistic as to how it actually impacts you and if the financial move to a D610 or other brand makes sense.

Which is, if you ask me, most styles of photography. Crap on your sensor is bad for your results, even if wider apertures defocus said crap. It's still there, still taking a visible toll on color and contrast.

Yes if you dont EVER clean it but not if you are taking good care of your gear (as you should) and doing regular maintenance.

Cleaning a sensor is, at best, a dangerous chore. I have yet to meet a photographer who enjoys doing it.

Dangerous chore? driving a car is a far more dangerous chore. Nothing dangerous if you use common sense and proper tools. People have been doing it for a long time. I have done it plenty of times now and never felt danger. I feel more danger and have more stress about my gear getting damaged from a fall or stolen.

On a final note, I think two different things are being discussed here. If I was a new user, without a D600, Would I buy a D610 right after it came out....NOPE. If I was not invested in any nikon gear would I buy a canon 6D instead? NO because it did not have the features I wanted. If I owned a D600 and did shoot in a editing time critical setting with apertures that made the spots show up and it was critical work that limited my editing time, would I sell the d600 and get something else? YES. But I am not talking about that user. I am talking about guys like me that have the issue but see the benefits that may be more important and rarely see the actual issue show up in ACTUAL SHOTS. The guys like me are the ones that need a chill pill should they decide they want to brand/gear dump at a huge loss.

I get it again. Heard it before and even said it before myself. ..."nikon should have fixed this" "this is not right" "I spent 2k". Yes got it. I am team "get it together nikon repair" but the proof is in the final images for ME. Not you and not anyone else. I love the camera minus this issue and it HAS gotten better with time and will continue to get better. I need a drink now.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow