D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
MarkJH
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
The Well-Tempered Report
In reply to Alan Brown, 6 months ago

Alan Brown wrote:

Well balanced report there... No denial or fanboyism either.

To my eye, a report from "NikonFan99" who tells us he bought a *second* D600 after having the dust problem with his first (and then had the problem, again) reads like both fanboyism *and* denial.

At the very least, "NikonFan99" participates in two pretty common lines of thought on the issue:

(a) Fatalism: "Every DSLR has some kind of out-of-box engineering problem and/or manufacturing defect, so we shouldn't whine about this one's; it's easy enough to work around."

or

(b) Exchange: "The D600 offers performance and capability like no other DSLR evar, and there's just no way to get that reward without risking or dealing with the problem."

Am I the only guy here who doesn't see much to applaud in either?   When did it become unreasonable to expect a $2K camera's sensor would be clean out of the box?   We're really that excited to "work around" a $2K camera's manufacturing defects?  And when did the D600 assume the crown as the camera worth "working around?"  It's 2010's D7000 with a bigger sensor and a slower sync; what performance bars does it push?

I don't mean for this argument to be ad hominem: NikonFan99, if you like your D600s, more power to you--you don't need to justify what you want or what you like to anyone.   The heart wants what the heart wants; be as weird as you wanna be.   Still, I can't help but think that (a) and (b) would, for most photographers, represent a pretty delusional point of view.

MarkJH's gear list:MarkJH's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow