D610 to be announced within 48 hours (as of 10/5)

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
The Well-Tempered Report
In reply to Alan Brown, Oct 6, 2013

Alan Brown wrote:

Well balanced report there... No denial or fanboyism either.

To my eye, a report from "NikonFan99" who tells us he bought a *second* D600 after having the dust problem with his first (and then had the problem, again) reads like both fanboyism *and* denial.

At the very least, "NikonFan99" participates in two pretty common lines of thought on the issue:

(a) Fatalism: "Every DSLR has some kind of out-of-box engineering problem and/or manufacturing defect, so we shouldn't whine about this one's; it's easy enough to work around."

or

(b) Exchange: "The D600 offers performance and capability like no other DSLR evar, and there's just no way to get that reward without risking or dealing with the problem."

Am I the only guy here who doesn't see much to applaud in either?   When did it become unreasonable to expect a $2K camera's sensor would be clean out of the box?   We're really that excited to "work around" a $2K camera's manufacturing defects?  And when did the D600 assume the crown as the camera worth "working around?"  It's 2010's D7000 with a bigger sensor and a slower sync; what performance bars does it push?

I don't mean for this argument to be ad hominem: NikonFan99, if you like your D600s, more power to you--you don't need to justify what you want or what you like to anyone.   The heart wants what the heart wants; be as weird as you wanna be.   Still, I can't help but think that (a) and (b) would, for most photographers, represent a pretty delusional point of view.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow