Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
Question about appropriate moderator behavior
10 months ago

I have a question about moderator behavior.  I wasn't entirely sure where the best place to ask this question was (but the description for this forum mentions discussing moderation) so if there's a more appropriate place, please feel free to advise me.

In a thread in a forum, someone mentioned another site had done some very interesting sensor comparisons. I responded to that post and asked if they could share what site that was so I could see what work had been done at this other site.  My post was a very simple post with nothing else in it, but one sentence asking if they could share what the other site was so I could learn from what was done there.  I don't recall the exact wording, but it was something like this:

Can you share what other site has this sensor comparison as I'd like to learn from what they've done.

This post asking about the other site was deleted shortly after it was posted.  I was not notified in any way or given any reasoning for the removal.  This raised several questions in my mind:

1.  Is this appropriate moderator behavior?

2.  Are links to external sources of information prohibited?

3.  Would it not it benefit everyone if, when people's posts are edited or removed (for a valid reason), the poster is given some sort of notification/understanding for why this action was made so they can at least learn what behavior is considered appropriate and why and have a chance to adjust their behavior going forward?  As it is, I have no idea why my post was removed and thus have no chance to modify my behavior in the future.

I know that forum rules say that moderators can pretty much do anything they want and have no obligation to notify anyone about anything, but there must certainly be some notion about what desirable or acceptable moderator behavior is.  So, I guess I'm curious if this situation I described seems like appropriate or desirable moderator behavior and if not, does DPR have any method of providing feedback to moderators?

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow