Flat view
Øyvin Eikeland
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
Obsessing over low light performance, Panasonic G6
Oct 6, 2013

Blurry childs play

Hi,

I just got a panasonic G6 as my first interchangeable lens camera. I am happy with just about everything except high-ISO image quality. I so wish to be able to catch situations like the one in the picture above. I have used the panasonic 14mm f2.5 with ISO3200 (the highest usable ISO I think) and the shutter speed is 1/80. I do understand that much of the blur is because I am not holding the camera still but it would be sweet to be able to get decent images even so. I have played around a bit and found that I will need a shutterspeed at something like 1/320 to freeze the action properly. I am currently contemplating buying the Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 to collect some more light. I fear that this will only get me half-way "there" so I started comparing the ISO performance of the G6 to the E-PM2 and even to the GH3:

There seems to be about 2dB SNR to gain from the E-PM2 compared to my G6. I wonder how this will work out in practical use. I can get the E-PM2 including two lenses for less than the 17mm f/1.8 !

I am now contemplating what to do:

1. Buy the 17mm f/1.8 and see how that works out

2. Buy the E-PM2 and keep it as a point-and-shoot for low-light action shots (no time to use the viewfinder anyway)

3. Sell the G6 and get the GH3 or one of the OM-Ds

4. Install brighter lighting in my house

regards,

Øyvin Eikeland

PS: I have read all the reviews I can find and I do not think the olympus menu system is something I would enjoy trying to learn.

PPS: Is the G6 "bad" or ok for low light shooting?

Øyvin Eikeland's gear list:Øyvin Eikeland's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow